- She Merchants
- About Us
Van Cortlandt House
The Van Cortlandt House Museum, also known as Frederick Van Cortlandt House or Van Cortlandt House, is the oldest building in The Bronx, New York City. The house was built by Frederick Van Cortlandt (1699 – 1749) in 1748 as a mansion for the Van Cortlandt family. It was built in Yonkers, of fieldstone and in the Georgian style. He died before its completion and willed it to his son, James Van Cortlandt (1727 – 1781).
The Van Cortlandts, a merchantile family prominent in New York affairs, established a grain plantation and grist mill on the property. The house was used during the Revolutionary War by Rochambeau, Lafayette, and Washington.
After 140 years of occupancy by the Van Cortlandt family and their slaves, in 1889 the property was sold to the City of New York and made a public parkland. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1967 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1976. The house has been operated as a public museum since 1897.
The Van Cortlandt House Museum is a private, non-profit institution founded in 1896 by the National Society of Colonial Dames in the State of New York, a licensee of the City of New York. Van Cortlandt House was built in 1748 for Frederick Van Cortlandt and was the focal point of an expansive and prosperous wheat plantation. The interpretive period of the Museum House is from 1748 – 1823 when Frederick and his two eldest sons, James and Augustus, owned the property. The Museum collection contains Van Cortlandt family materials and furnishings appropriate to this interpretive period.
Van Cortlandt House Museum strives to be a vital member of The Bronx Cultural community and the larger region by preserving, researching and interpreting the Van Cortlandt House, its grounds, and historical collection for a wide audience for the purpose of growing meaningful connections between the past and the present. The Museum’s research and interpretation focuses on the Van Cortlandt family; the social history of those who lived and worked on the property; the study of decorative arts; and the impact of the American Colonial Revival on the development of the Van Cortlandt House as a public museum.
Our Mission:The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America actively promotes our national heritage through historic preservation, patriotic service, and educational projects.
HEADQUARTERS HOUSE MUSEUM
215 East 71st Street, between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 744-3572
Subway: #6 to 68th Street Station
Bus: M101, M102 or M103 to 72nd Street, or M72 crosstown
School Groups: September - June
donation of $4 per person
VAN CORTLANDT HOUSE MUSEUM
Broadway at West 246th Street, Bronx, NY 10471
Tel: (718) 543-3344
Subway: #1 to 242nd Street Station
Bus: Bx9 to West 244th Street
Tuesday - Friday, 10am - 3pm
Saturday & Sunday, 11am - 4pm.
Adults $5; Students & Seniors, $3, Children under 12 are free.
Admission is free on Wednesdays.
We hope to get PayPal up and running soon. Please visit the Gifts and Donations page for more information about giving.